Sunday, October 9, 2011

Uminonakamichi Koen

(You are warned, this is very long, lots of photos!)

Today was fantastic!!  Some of the Japanese tutors took us to Uminonaka Koen.  It was an amaaaaazing park surrounded by the ocean.  I stole this photo from the Internet (don’t kill me) as you have to see how gorgeous this area is.  Wow!  Please click this photo so you can see the original size.  Notice the ferris wheel on the left side, this will come up later, but I’m pointing it out now to give some perspective.

Uminonaka Park

This is the map of the park grounds.  You can also get an idea of the layout of the peninsula. 

Umi Naka Koen 123

Tash and Mayu being sheepish.  Very charming.

Umi Naka Koen 004

So…Fukuoka has the biggest spiders ever!  Ok, maybe not ever, but bigger than I’m used to.  And they are everywhere!  YUCK.  This sucker was about 2 inches long from leg to leg.  /shudder

 Umi Naka Koen 005

We first went to the zoo section of the park.  Technically it was called the Zoological Garden on the map.  It was filled with amazing animals, and you could walk around with a lot of them.  Very zoological.  As opposed to zoo-illogical…?  Hm…

This handsome fellow was less than thrilled.  Also, all the animals had their own name tags, very cute.

Umi Naka Koen 008

This was one of the three monkey islands in the Zoological Garden area.  Three!  They were truly amazing and disgustingly cute.  I could have stayed and watched the monkeys all day.

 Umi Naka Koen 009

HELLO!

 Umi Naka Koen 013

Ugh, look at that curly tail!  So cute it just makes me want to jfkjdflsdakdfj@#@!?.

Umi Naka Koen 016

We then came upon the “petting zoo” area.  The kids could ride these ponies, but only if sporting a cowboy hat and scarf.  Very western, and cute, of course.

Umi Naka Koen 019

This little boy was definitely enjoying giving this piggy a tummy rub.  Well it was more a tummy smack, but I’m sure his tiny hands didn’t do much harm.  Very cute.

Umi Naka Koen 024

Umi Naka Koen 021

Now you may be wondering, what are there adorable children waiting for in their bright orange aprons?

Umi Naka Koen 032

Guinea Pigs!!  The littlest girl in the pink hat eventually started crying.  She wasn’t too thrilled with her guinea pig.  He didn’t seem to mind though.

Umi Naka Koen 033

Then we came upon monkey island number two.  This was my favourite of the monkey islands.  CAN YOU BELIEVE HOW CUTE THESE ARE?!  Seriously.  I almost died of cute overload at this point.  After today, I am fully convinced that all things cute originate and cluster in Japan.  This whole country is unbelievably cute. 

Umi Naka Koen 045

Weeeeeeeeeeeee!

Umi Naka Koen 050

They were drinking water with their little hands.  SO CUTE.

Umi Naka Koen 051

 Umi Naka Koen 056

And on to the goats.  I couldn’t tell if this guy was sleepy or giving me the winky winky eye.  I liked his loner style though.

Umi Naka Koen 060

Check out their sweet beards.  Very beardy.

Umi Naka Koen 061

These guys were very neat!  What are they??  They looked like a cross between a rabbit and a dear.  A dabbit?  A rabear?

 Umi Naka Koen 065

He was definitely striking a pose.

 Umi Naka Koen 068

And then the kangaroos.  Can you believe this guy?  Just laying around…awww he thinks he’s people.

Umi Naka Koen 070

Is it me or do they appear permanently annoyed?

Umi Naka Koen 073

This one is for Hugh.  Sorry, I couldn’t get the camera to focus properly due to the cage.  Silly point-and-shoots. 

 Umi Naka Koen 075

And these photos are for me!  Yes, I love tiny dogs.  Go on, hate me.  But look at how cute they are!  Also please note the ruffled blue and white striped dress cute puppy on the far right is sporting.  We were able to enjoy sitting near these dogs while we had our lunch.  I really wanted to steal one.

Umi Naka Koen 079

The tiny black guy on the right was my favourite.  The one on the left I called Scrappy.  He was really into putting on a show by kicking up dirt with his hind paws.

Umi Naka Koen 082

And now for a bathroom shot.  I just got a kick out of this child seat.  It was in the stall with the toilet I used.  I thought it was pretty clever.  Perhaps I just don’t get out much.

 Umi Naka Koen 083

And now onto the flower garden.  Another wow.  This was breathtaking!  I couldn’t choose which photos to post therefore you are stuck with quite a few.  This was one of my favourite parts of the park.

Umi Naka Koen 092   

Umi Naka Koen 085

 Umi Naka Koen 087

 Umi Naka Koen 088

 Umi Naka Koen 089

 Umi Naka Koen 090

 Umi Naka Koen 091

These were very cool.

Umi Naka Koen 095

So you can see how gianormous they were.

Umi Naka Koen 096

Yay for flowers!

Umi Naka Koen 097

Now on to the amusement area.  These giant inflatable rolly-on-water thingers looked very fun!  They had multiple children inside for extra excitement.

Umi Naka Koen 107

 Umi Naka Koen 108

And the amazing ferris wheel!  It went super slow so they could continuously load new passengers on as the cars passed underneath.  Clever.

Umi Naka Koen 106

 Umi Naka Koen 110

Proof that I actually went on this ride.  It was extremely tall, and a bit scary actually.  But the view was incredible!

Umi Naka Koen 115

I was trying to get a good shot of the surrounding ocean, but it’s hard to see in the photos.

Umi Naka Koen 118

The other half of our group.  Hello!

Umi Naka Koen 119

View of another flower park.  See the rabbit?

Umi Naka Koen 122

New addition to my family….Sheepy-chan.  I couldn’t resist her, so she came home with me, and is now watching my while I type up this blog.  I suppose that could sound creepy if she wasn’t just do darn cute!  I would like to note that the tag she came with just had the word CUTE on it in rainbow letters.  Seriously.

Umi Naka Koen 121

And now for the highlight of the day.  NARUTO.  These cosplayers were doing a photo shoot in the park and were kind enough to let us wacky gaijin (foreigners) take photos with them.  Can you tell how excited I was?  Oh yeah, super dorky.

*EDIT* Being reminded that these folks didn’t want photos posted, I have just altered it so you can’t tell who it is.  Sorry!  If you want to see the real one you’ll have to come visit me.  Or wait until I’m back home.

Blog Naruto

And this concludes an amazing day!  Thank you to all the wonderful tutors that treated us to an unforgettable time.  I hope to go back again sometime and explore the rest of the park that we didn’t see.  Admission was free today, but apparently it’s only 400yen normally, and it’s not far to ride our bikes there from the dormitory.  And then you can bike around the park!  It’s huge so that idea sounds pretty good.

Speaking of bikes…I guess I should show you my sweet ride.

Umi Naka Koen 125

And since almost all the students have purchased the same bike, I have decorated mine to distinguish it from the others.  With polka-dot cupcake stickers, of course. :3

Umi Naka Koen 126

And as it seems every time I post these blog entries, it’s now dinner time!  So that’s it for now, folks.  I have a couple food photos I want to post, but will wait until I collect a few more interesting food items to share.

Until then….

xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment